ADRIFTMAS Party was written in ADRIFT 4, and is © 19?? by Mystery.
This map is by David Welbourn, and is based on the 02-Dec-2002 verstion of the game.
NPCs and Conversation Topics
- initial: Astridian is here, resting in the shadows.
- description: Quickly, his silver eyes dart up to meet your gaze; there is something icy and cold about him. You'd rather not chat with him, but he doesn't look mean or rude. He looks like he isn't comfortable here. His long, straight, silver hair flows down to his midback, lacking braids or any other frills that one might see in long hair. He doesn't look unattractive; however, he doesn't look attractive either.
- enter style: slips in
- leave style: slips out
- adrift: "Adrift rocks."
- astridian: "I'm just your run-of-the-mill Drifter who's never completed any games. I hope to someday though. I'm incredibly boring."
- books: "Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is my favorite. It used to be Lord of the Rings."
- car/motorcycles: "Someday I'm going to have to learn to drive; let's hope you aren't on the road when I do."
- chat: "I remain quiet in the chat; it is safer to remain quiet, especially around ds."
- christmas: "Christmas is okay - except for all the depressing romance and stuff."
- campbell: "Mr. Wild is quite the dedicated programmer."
- computer: "Computers - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em."
- drinks: "I don't drink alcohol, but I don't care if anyone else does. It is fun to watch drunks. Cream soda is the beverage of the gods."
- duodave: "Isn't he a strange fellow? I'd be frightened to go to any circus run by him."
- elves: "You should upgrade your elves; I like the tall ones with the pointy ears best."
- food: "I could go for some cheese right now. Halvah would be nice too."
- forum: "The forum is a scary place, but it is fun."
- friends: "Perhaps someday I'll be able to program myself a friend."
- game: "Currently I'm working on several different adventures and most of them deal with death. I like death. I'm not gothic though."
- house: "I still live at my parents' house. Free room and board."
- if: "I like text adventures. My favorite text adventure is either Photopia or Anchorhead."
- job: "I dread the day I have to go to work. Working generally means interaction with people, and I don't do that well."
- life: "I have none. What's your point?"
- love: "Love is a verb. Love is sacrificing and serving without a selfish motive. Romance stinks."
- mrs claus: "So, how is Mrs. Claus doing?"
- mystery: "She's a good betatester I've heard."
- movies: "I like the Lord of the Rings movie, but it wasn't as good as the books."
- music: "System of a Down is good. So is Louis Armstrong and the Skatilites."
- party: "I generally don't go to parties as I'm incredibly boring."
- reindeer: "Hear about the time you went crazy?"
- religion: "I'm the only Universalist I know."
- santa: "Merry Christmas. You don't have to get me any presents, there isn't much I want."
- school: "I love school. If I could take college classes for my entire life I would."
- sleep: You just are not in the mood to sleep at the moment.
- time: "I wish there was a way to stop being haunted by my past."
- default ask: "I'd suggest you go talk to someone who isn't boring."
- unknown topics: cowboy, davidw, depression, drifters, ds490, eds,
girls, jj sonick, kf, lancer, mad monk, matt, mileout, presents, romance, samantha,
the invisible man, toodwat, woodfish
- initial: Cowboy is leaning on a nearby wall, taking in the scenery.
- enter style: walks in
- initial: davidw is standing here looking for someone to antagonize.
- description: He is tall and devilishly handsome (well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad!)
- enter style: comes in
- leave style: goes
- adrift: "Where would my life be without Adrift? Actually, it'd probably be more geared toward getting my first novel written instead."
- books: "Just finished reading The Thirteen And A Half Lives Of Captain Bluebear. Completely stupid, but amazing nevertheless."
- campbell: "God indeed. Well, he created Adrift which is a damn sight more than I could have done. Credit to him."
- christmas: "Christmas is never as much fun when you're an adult as it is when you're a kid. You get less presents, the presents are never as good and you have to buy for everyone else as well! Bah, humbug!"
- davidw: "I think therefore I am, or something along those lines anyway."
- duodave: "Ask Duo what I'll be saying about him. He's psychic so he'll be able to tell you without me going to the trouble."
- elves: "I hear that smoking is bad for your 'elf'! Hah ha ha!"
"That's 'elves' not 'elf'!" shouts out an irate voice.
"I know, I know, but I couldn't think of anything funny to put with elves."
- game: "I've written quite a few games: Blood Relatives, Scene Of The Crime, YADFA, Whatever Happened To Uncle Grumble?, Lair Of The Vampire, The Door To Utopia, The Haunted House Of Hideous Horror, The Princess In The Tower and - by the time you're reading this - ONNAFA and maybe a few others besides. And if you don't think that's a shameless plug you're never likely to see one."
- house: "Mine's got four walls and a floor. Oh, and a roof. It needs a roof, y'see, otherwise it'd get wet when it rains and that'd be just plain daft."
- job: "Sorry, too tedious to believe. Some people have interesting jobs where they spend all day doing interesting things and meeting interesting people and having an interesting time. I don't."
- love: "Oh, fancy asking about love! How soppy can you get?"
- mrs claus: "I've always felt sorry for Mrs Claus. After all, dear old Santa only comes once a year. What kind of life is that for the poor thing?"
- mystery: "Definitely think her new avatar is a big step down from her old one but, well, I've still got my imagination to fall back on!"
- party: "You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties - generally because that's where all the best snacks are!"
- reindeer: "I always reckon Rudolph had a red nose because he was either: a) drunk or b) a secret drugs fiend."
- religion: "Call me Mr Agnostic. I'm happy to celebrate Christmas but the rest of religion can go to Hell in a handbasket for all the use I have for it."
- santa: "Ah, Saint Nick. You are an inspiration to us all. How you manage to fit that great big [CENSORED] down the chimney every year is a mystery to me. Hats off to you! (Oh, and mind yourself on the fire!)"
- school: "Not for me, thank God! When I walked out of those hallowed doors twelve years ago I swore I'd never look back and I never did. Oh, except to fetch my coat which I'd left on the coatrack but that doesn't count."
- default ask: "Now, why did you ask about that?"
astridian, avatar, car, cbn, chat, cowboy, computer, drifters,
drinks, drugs, ds490, eds, food, forum, friends, humbug, if, jj sonick, kf, ladder, lancer, life,
mad monk, matt, mileout, movies, music, people, roof, samantha, sleep, smoking,
the invisible man, toddwat, time, woodfish
- initial: Ds490 is here, socializing with some of the Drifters.
- description: His name is Drew, a 14 year old boy, still eagerly awaiting a decent growth spurt. He has straight, somewhat-neatly forward-combed blonde hair and a fair complexion with a few fading freckles from his childhood still visible. He wears an unbuttoned, dark blue, short-sleaved shirt with a bright orange T-shirt underneath. His dark blue jeans are somewhat baggy, although not enough so to be trendy. He's not the trendy kind of guy.
- leave style: walks off
- adrift: "ADRIFT is the best thing to happen to my computer since Windows 98."
- books: "I don't read too many books...of the ones I've read, some of my favorites are 1984, Animal Farm, The Giver, The Tales of Prydain series, the Chronicals of Narnia series...and a couple I forgot."
- campbell/god: "Campbell is a great person, not only for creating ADRIFT, but for...uh...er, that is to say...whatever. He's a great guy."
- car: "Well, I like Subarus & BMWs myself. My family used to have a 1997 Subaru Outback, but the lease ran out and we had to get a 1992 Buick Skylark. Ugh."
- chat: "Chatting's fun. LOL. ROFL. BRB. WTF..."
- christmas: "I love Christmas! Although you really could work on getting me what I want...I mean, underwear? That ain't much of a Christmas present, believe it or not."
- computer: "I love computers. Well, that is to say, I like PCs. Macs piss me off, pardon my French."
- duodave: "Let me tell you, Dave's got one sick mind. He turns everything you say into a suggestive comment."
- drinks: "I'm 14. I can't legally drink yet. I'll admit, I have enjoyed a couple coolers and beers in my time, but I have yet to try a real drink. Sooner or later, I'll be downing a Jack & Coke."
- elves: "What are the chances that you actually deliver all those presents, eh? I say you're a slave driver, and those poor elves are overworked and abused. Am I right?"
- food: "Mm mm good."
- forum: "What about the forum? Are you dissing the forum? I'll take you down, jolly man..."
- friends: "Sure I have friends. There's...uh...well... I'll start with...ummm..."
- game: "I've been trying to get a game off the ground for a while now. It's tough to find a workable idea. You'll see a game from me eventually, believe you me. It's just a matter of time..."
- house: "This place has some good chi..."
- if: "To be honest, I don't play many adventures. I'm more into the creation side of it- that's what got me into it."
- jim/penguin: "Ah, Jim, The Mad Monk's imaginary giant purple penguin. He's really a sensitive guy once you get to know him..."
- job: "Most of my time I'm either at school, sleeping or doing homework. In my precious free time I enjoy playing around with ADRIFT, web design," Drew clears his throat in a manner clearly implying for you to visit his site at http://www.gasp.cjb.net. "Playing StarCraft: Brood War, drawing and writing fiction."
- kf: "KF's great. He's one of the most professional and dedicated Drifters."
- life: "...life? If you mean that as in having one, you're talking to the wrong person."
- love: "Er...has it yet occurred to you that I'm a loser?"
- mad monk: "The Monk's a little like me- a little odd and pretty funny. And a little delusional...I mean, he's got that huge purple penguin..."
- mrs claus: "Well, if I made a friendly jab at your wife, you might take offence...if I complimented her, you might find me a coward with no sense of humor...so I'll just say nothing."
- mystery: "Ah, she scares me sometimes. She manages to hold her ground, even when Dave and I are pelting her with offensive comments & comebacks in the chat."
- movies: "I love movies. Some of my favorites are," Drew inhales deeply. "American History X, There's Something About Mary, Independence Day, Minority Report, The Big Lebowski...oh, there are too many to name..."
- music: "This isn't really my style of music. I go for classic & modern rock & roll, dance, instrumental...actually, I like some of every kind of music."
- party: "Nice party...but the punch could use a little more...you know, punch."
- reindeer: "The reindeer, eh? I hear there's been some talks of replacing Prancer with Jean Cretien when he steps down."
- religion: "I was born Christian, but I really don't care about or practice religion much. I'm not against faith, I just think you also have to use your head while you worship."
- santa: "Hey, did you hear the one about Eminem at the shopping mall? Hey, where are you going?"
- school: "School is the scrourge of my life. Although I'll bet that when I'm 30 I'll think these are the best years of my life...proof that sanity disintegrates with time..."
- sleep: "Sleep is my best friend. There's nothing like a good doze."
- time: "Do I look like a clock? No seriously, I think these pants do something to my hips..."
- default ask" Ds490 does not respond to your question.
- unknown topics age, ds, eds, jj sonick, lancer, matt, mileout, toddwat, underwear, windows, woodfish
- misparsed topics astridian, cowboy, davidw, samantha, the invisible man
- initial: DuoDave is here.
- description: David Good is dressed in a red holiday sweater and khaki slacks. His brown, short hair is combed back and his mustache neatly trimmed, and he wears wire-frame glasses. He has a shiny, metal forearm crutch in his right hand, which he is leaning on. Dave has appropriated a bowl of peanut M&Ms and occasionally pops a handful into his mouth.
- leave style: retreats
- adrift: "I've used ADRIFT for a couple years now, since it was still version 3.80. It sure is easy to use!"
- books: "I like to read Stephen King and Anne Rice."
- campbell: "He puts a lot of work in on ADRIFT. We owe him a lot more than a $17 registration fee!"
- car/motorcycles: "I'm not a big car person. I hear Campbell is into motorcycles, though."
- chat: "I met my girlfriend Suzie on MSN chat. Did I show you pictures of her yet?"
- christmas: "Oh, Christmas is one of my favorite holidays. I like Halloween too. If the Big C has a Halloween party - boom, I'm there."
- computer: "I have two PCs and a Macintosh."
- crutch: "Oh, well, you should have seen the other guy. Seriously though, a tendon in my left foot has been giving me problems."
- drinks: "Mmm, I like more than a little nog in my egg nog."
- duodave: "I've lived in Florida since 1987. A great place for retirees - you'd feel right at home."
- elves: "Cute little buggers, aren't they? Do you think I could have one of those handy Palm Pilots they carry around?"
- food/cookies: "Oh my... if I stay at Campbell's much longer, I'll weigh a thousand pounds."
- forum: "I don't know, the forum is ok. It's sometimes a little lame, though."
- friends: "Isn't this a great party? So many of my buddies here."
- game: "Fun, isn't it?"
- house: "Smashing place here. I must ask Campbell who his decorator is."
- if: "Interactive fiction is so cool! Have you ever played any Santa?"
- job: "I'm a writer. Which is a fancy way of saying I'm out of work."
- life: "Ah, that's deep."
- love/Suzie/pictures: "My girlfriend Suzie is so beautiful. She lives in Canada, but she really likes Florida. Too bad she couldn't make it for the party, I miss her. Here, let me show you some pictures."
- m&ms: "No, you can't have my M&Ms."
- movies: "I haven't seen any good ones lately."
- mrs claus: "I hear Mrs. Claus has some major babehood going on. I bet those cookies are great, eh?"
- music: "Christmas music does seem to get pervasive this time of year, doesn't it?"
- mystery: "Mystery is a great beta tester. Her games are fun and interesting, too. As a friend... I value her opinion, and she's funny too.
Also, she was instrumental in organizing this party."
- party: "It's pretty good - Campbell really knows how to throw a party. Not enough chicks, though."
- psychic powers: "Listen, Santa, I am at a party here. If you give me $10, I'll give you a reading."
- reindeer: "Do they really fly, Santa?"
- religion: "I'm a longtime Roman Catholic."
- santa: "You're so jolly! Have you been nipping at the Christmas cheer again?"
- school: "Oh I did awful in school. Glad I am out."
- sleep: "Sleep? Who could sleep at a time like this?"
- time: "Sorry, I am not wearing a watch."
- default ask: "Did I show you the pictures of my lady love yet?"
David gets out his wallet and starts getting out photos.
"Here we are at the beach... and this one is us in Toronto... and here is another..."
You zone out a little as he pulls out photo after photo.
- unknown topics: astridian, cowboy, davidw, drifters, ds490, eds,
glasses, jj sonick, kf, lancer, mad monk, matt, mileout, mustache, samantha, the invisible man,
toddwat, tv, woodfish.
- initial:EdS is here, looking for more silverware to sneak into his pockets.
- initial: JJ Sonick is here, and seems to be distracted by thoughts of anime chracters battling sentient, philosophical kiwi fruits.
- leave style: absent-mindedly wanders off
- initial: KF stands hunched, trying not to be noticed.
- description: He is a rather round figure who slumps around in a cloud of gloom. His belly hangs over the belt of his low slung trousers. The only bright part about him is the teddy bear head and bright green bow tie.
- enter style: walks in
- leave style: walks away
- adrift: "A superb demonstration of the programmers art, soon we will have the ability to control real life situations"
- books: "I work in a library and find books a real annoyance. Most of the reading I do is computer magazines."
- campbell: "Wow, the great man himself, what hasn't been said of him."
- car: "I don't drive, never felt the urge, always said there are enough idiots on the road without me joining them."
- chat: "Oh yes, the place where we gather to while away a few more sad hours of our existence." KF chuckles.
- christmas: "Marvellous isn't it, we look forward for ages for the holidays to arrive and it's gone in what seems like an instant. A good excuse for over indulgence, as if any of us needed an excuse!"
- cowboy: "You should know better than to ask me that."
- computer: "That's why we're here isn't it? If we didn't have a computer we'd never have met up."
- drinks/drink: "I'm a boring person, as I've probably already said, so tend to stick to a diet coke. If pushed to go for an alcoholic drink I tend to have a pint of cider."
- ds490: "Hope his cold doesn't come back, it made him a bit miserable."
- duodave: "A master technician and helpful soul. He's been around for ages!"
- elves: "Pesky critters get everywhere. Know the number of a good exterminator?"
- food: "Ah my gravest failing, those who know me know that I am rarely without a sweet or biscuit close at hand - as my widening girth proves."
- forum: "A DJ on UK radio once described Broadcasting House, home of BBC Radio, as the home for the bewildered, a description that seems fairly applicable to the forum."
- friends: "What's a friend?"
- game: "Ah, playing games can be fun if you are any good - unfortunately I'm terrible."
- house: "I live in a vast mansion, with many rooms, well actually a 4 bedroom detached house. In the next few months I hope to move down to something smaller."
- if: "I like my interactive fiction to be interactive. Some prefer the fiction, but I prefer short bits of text with things to do, not just large blocks of text."
- job: "Would you believe such a boring person as me works in a library, a match made in heaven."
- life: "In the words of Marvin the paranoid android in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'Life, don't talk to me about life.'"
- love: "I'm a miserable old sod, so what's love got to do with it!"
- mrs claus: "She must be a very supportive lady."
- mystery: "The goddess of the Adrift world, we'd be a disorganized mess without her - OH, we are!"
- movies: "I'm not a moviegoer. I've been to just one in the last twenty years (and I got in free to that one)."
- music: "I am totally unmusical myself, but enjoy most older pop and country music."
- party: "Oh dear, the party season, a time of fear and loathing for all us lonely people - where do we all come from."
- reindeer: "They'd better watch out, Mystery's hubby turns elk into jerky, might do reindeer next!"
- religion: "I believe that it is up to everyone to find their own path and if religion is part of it then that is right for them. I am open minded on the existence of a superior being, but have heard he believes in me."
- santa: "You are a really great guy. You must also be pretty wealthy going out and buying all those presents, thank you for all mine in the past - even when I wasn't good!"
- school: "Oh those halcyon days so long ago when I slobbed around playing pool."
- sleep: "Need lots of sleep, but normally manage about six hours a day."
- time: "Time is relative, and as I avoid my relatives I haven't a clue about time either."
- default ask: "You should know better than to ask me that."
- unknown topics: astridian, boredom, coke, cowboy, davidw, drifters, eds,
head, heaven, jj sonick, lancer, library, mad monk, matt, mileout, pool, samantha,
the invisible man, tie, toddwat, woodfish
- initial: Lancer Sykera, Sky Samuri, is present in the area.
- description: He is wearing baggy jeans with several cuts in them, and a large black t-shirt, he obviously strikes you as a swordsmaster. Maybe it's the large sword on his back.
- enter style: hovers into the area
- leave style: floats away through the air
- adrift: "I was once cast adrift by the titans...."
- campbell: "Never speak that name around me! Next time, it will be your head!"
- car: "I have no use for your feeble transportation."
- chat: "Chat? What is this, chat, you speak of?"
- christmas: "Christmas? Bah! Religion is for the weak-minded."
- computer: "What is this crazy talk?"
- drinks/drink: "What? Give me Turkey Hill Eggnog!"
- duodave: "Wha? Where? He will suffer!"
- elves: "Where? I will slay them!"
- food: "Food... Where is it!? Tell me dammit!"
- forum: "What is this crazy talk! Get away from me!"
- friends: "Alas, I have no friends....."
- game: "What kind of games?"
- house: "This house is ugly."
- job: "A Sky Samuri is what I am.... I have no need for currency...."
- lancer: "What about me? I am Lancer Sykera, Sky Samuri. I have previous identities, of which you may have heard, but certainly not from me."
- life: "Got Met Life?"
- love: "I loved once........"
- mrs claus: "Kill her!"
- mystery: "What about her? Leave me alone!"
- movies: "No time. Unless it's a science fiction."
- music: "Got any System of a Down?"
- party: "I do not like parties...."
- reindeer: "I shall slay them!"
- religion: "Religion is for the weak-minded."
- santa: "Have you ever seen that movie, on Cartoon Network, "The Life And Adventures Of Santa Claus"? Is that really true?"
- sleep: "Sleep is for the weak."
- time: "No time for time. Go eat some sand."
- default ask: "Say what?"
- unknown topics: absinthe, astridian, books, cowboy, davidw, drifters, ds490,
eds, floating, flying, if, jj sonick, kf, killing, mad monk, magic, matt, mileout, samantha, sand,
satan, school, sword, the invisible man, toddwat, tv, woodfish
- initial: The Mad Monk chats amiably with the other partygoers while strategically balancing five platefuls of food about his person.
- leave style: wanders away
- default ask: Monk shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know."
- unknown topics:
Matt (Dark Baron)
- initial: MileOut stands in the corner of the room, lip-synching with others present.
- description: Dressed in a leather trenchcoat, steel capped boots, and black gloves, MileOut seems distant, his intoxication evident from both his glazed look, and the bottle that he carries.
- carrying: MileOut is carrying a bottle of absinthe and the money.
- absinthe: "It's mine, and you can't have it!" He yells and begins mumbling something about you and a bunch of hampsters.
- adrift: "Adrift?" MileOut says. "Yeah, its got potential."
- astridian: Astridian isn't here!
- books: "If you need a good book to read," MileOut says, "then may I recommend...damn, I've forgotten."
- campbell: "Hmmm, Campbell, you say?" queries MileOut, the difficulty of thought painted clearly on his face. "You know, I think I may know who you're talking about but right now, na!"
- car: "Don't drive, don't like cars, please," MileOut pleads, "can you change the subject?"
- chat: "Hey, I like it in there," MileOut says, "where else, other than in real life, could I smack the hell out of someone repeatedly?"
- christmas: "Not doing anything special for them," MileOut answers, "if that's what you mean."
- cowboy: Cowboy isn't here!
- computer: "The computer I've got is the sort that was fashionable in the good old days," MileOut says, "when you'd start your computer with a cranking handle, and the internet was in black and white."
- davidw: Davidw isn't here!
- ds490: Ds490 isn't here!
- drink/drinks: Holding up his bottle of absinthe, MileOut turns to face you. "This wins," he says, his other hand pointing to the bottle, "every time."
- duodave: "I'm sure he tries to sell nude pictures of himself on eBay," MileOut says, "in fact, I'm absolutely sure of it."
- elves: "Those little green things that do all the real Christmas work in that Lapland sweatshop?" MileOut confirms, taking a swig of his absinthe. "Personally, I don't like them and would much rather a world full of pink elephants than green elves."
- food: "Yeah," MileOut says, "I like that sort of stuff. Sweet tooth, you see."
- forum: "It's a good enough place," states MileOut, "it's where you interact with all these reprobates." He points around the room, picking out imaginary people.
- friends: "Friends?" MileOut asks. "I walk alone."
- game: "Interactive fiction games or board games?" MileOut asks. "Given the choice I'd merge the two, and play an interactive fiction version of Twister."
- house: "I'm an alcoholic," MileOut answers, "not a feng shui guru."
- if: "A toast," MileOut shouts, raising his absinthe, "to interactive fiction. Without it, I wouldn't even be at this party."
- lancer: Lancer Sykera isn't here!
- life: "Life," MileOut begins, looking to his bottle of absinthe, "is to be found at the bottom of a bottle. Death, however, is when you get to the bottom."
- love: "Love," MileOut repeats, "no, not yet."
- mad monk: Mad Monk isn't here!
- mileout: "That's me," says MileOut. "What do you want to know about me?"
- money: "It's mine! You can't have it. Well maybe we can play a game of pool later."
- music: "I love Einstürzende Neubauten," MileOut says, "and Leonard Cohen, and a lot of stuff like that. Real party stuff!"
- mrs claus: "I've heard all about her," MileOut says, "maybe one day I can meet her, and you can bring the camcorder."
- mystery: "Mystery, eh?" MileOut giggles, obviously remembering something. "I could tell you a few stories about her but I wouldn't dare as her husband allegedly makes jerky from people. Something like that French film, Delicatessen."
- nick grimson: Nick Grimson isn't here!
- party: "That's more like it," MileOut replies, "party. Booze and cakes and getting reindeer drunk so you can..."
Rubbing his chin, MileOut looks upwards. "I've forgotten what I was going to say now."
- pool: "I'd have to be really messed up to play you, Santa. And still I'd kick your butt." MileOut says, while holding up a ten spot. "You beat me...and it's all yours. But I'm not messed up enough to play just yet.
- reindeer: "If you want," MileOut offers, "I'll tell you more about them when I get one of them drunk."
- religion: "Despite having looked at numerous religions," MileOut says, "I am pretty much scornful of all."
- samantha: Use the format "ask Samantha about [subject]".
- santa: "What do I think of you, you fat, bearded, smelly slob?" MileOut growls, "I think you're rather nice."
- school: "Looking back," MileOut says, "I enjoyed school. Looking forward, I wish I'd went."
- sleep: "I won't do that at the party," MileOut says, "and no doubt I won't tomorrow as the hangover drums away at my brain."
- the invisible man: The Invisible Man isn't here!
- time: MileOut looks at his arm to find that he doesn't actually own a watch. Giving a quick hiccup, he turns to face you. "Half past a burp, one thinks."
- woodfish: Woodfish isn't here!
- default ask" MileOut does not respond to your question.
- unknown topics: death, drifters, eds, hampsters, matt, toddwat.
- initial: Mystery is talking with some Drifters, making sure everyone is having a good time.
- description: She's grown since I've last seen her. Her hair is much longer than I remember............Where did she get those! I just hate when they stop believing in me!
- leave style: walks away
- adrift: "You really should try it, Santa. I just bet you would have a lot of experiences to write about."
- astridian: "He's very nice."
- books: "I really don't read as much as I'd like too. There are so many things that demand my time and when it comes down to it....I'd rather work on something ADRIFT related."
- campbell/god: "He should be around here somewhere. Wasn't it nice of him to invite all of us here this holiday season? He is always so nice."
- car: "Ahh, I have a family vehicle. Now your ride is much more interesting, Santa. Tell me, what exactly makes those reindeer fly." She says with a snicker, and you are quite sure she no longer believes that you are real.
- chat: "Ah, the chat. It steals your soul! Before you know it, you are taken in by the glitz of it all....chatting away about everything under the sun....swapping insults in a fun manner.....trading tips and how to's on ADRIFT. Really it can be a quite productive, fun place to be." You watch as her eyes turn a pale grey and seem to glaze over.
"THE ADRIFT CHAT IS FUN! YOU GET LIVE HELP THERE. IT IS FUN! YOU NEVER WANT TO LEAVE. GO TO THE ADRIFT CHAT!" With a firm smack, she regains her senses.
- christmas: "It's the time of year that you get together with your insane relatives....are forced to eat at least a few bites of everything that is made....you get a crummy multicolored sweater that you will have to wear next year.... you get stuck sitting at the kids table...then you have to clear the table and wash dishes. Yep Christmas is a joy!" Now would be a good time for you to make a run for it! You didn't think she was ever going to come up for air.
- computer: "You might be able to save elves a lot of work if you let them shop online."
- cowboy: "I don't really know him, but he seems like a take charge kind of person."
- davidw: "He writes fabulous reviews and has a notable sense of humor. Although he seems a little attached to peoples avatars."
- drifters: "They really are an interesting group of people."
- drinks: "You thirsty, Santa? There is a bar in the game room. I'm sure the bartender will fix you right up."
- ds490: "DS has a great sense of humor, and never fails to make me laugh."
- duodave: "I thought I saw him running around with a crystal ball."
- eds: "He's fairly new, and seems to have a good sense of humor."
- elves: "I just bet you are a real slave driver. Making those poor elves clean up the reindeer stalls while you sit around on your butt waiting for the Mrs. to wait on you hand and foot."
- food: "You look like you've had a bit too much already."
- forum: "The ADRIFT FORUM is a great place to go for help with ADRIFT. Sometimes it's members get carried away with childish behavior, and foolish temper tantrums....but when it really counts, there is always someone to help you out."
- friends: "I consider some of my friends to be 'Drifters. How about you? Getting tired of knee high elves, yet?"
- game: "Ahh, isn't a cruel world when you are shoved into a game and have no control over what happens to you?" Mystery looks at you kind of funny then breaks out into a fit of evil laughter.
- house: " This house is GREAT! I wish mine was this nice. Campbell must have made a ton of money from us." Mystery laughs, "or a large credit debt!"
- if: "I like a well balanced game, with equal amounts of interaction along with the fiction aspect. A game too overdone can suck the fun right out of it. Speaking of getting the fun sucked out of it.....Where are those presents you are supposed to be delivering? That is what you do, isn't it?"
- jj sonick: "I love his Screensavers game. It is one of my favorites."
- job: "I...well, I do plenty of things. Enough about me...Let's talk about your job. You know it seems like you get all the credit for those hard working little elves. When was the last time they had a break?" You are beginning to think that she might not have gotten what she what she wanted one year, and is a little P.O.'d about it.
- kf: "KF is one of the most kindest people I have met through ADRIFT. He really is a great person. He has some fangs too."
- lancer: "I really don't have anything to say about him."
- life: "Some life you must have.....while the elves work away all year long, I bet you head out to some of the best golf courses all over the world. Nothing better to do than whack a few balls, 'eh Santa?" You try your best to ignore that comment, but have this overwhelming urge to smack her.
- love: "Love is a beautiful thing, if you are lucky enough to find it."
- mad monk: "The Mad Monk is quite a unique individual, and is quite funny. He writes very well, and I hope he keeps it up."
- matt: "Matt is a little strange sometimes and I have a hard time understanding what he writes."
- mileout: "MileOut is very nice. He writes brilliantly, and with such intensity."
- movies: "Seems you're pretty popular this time of year, Santa. Just last month a movie came out where it had you getting married. I couldn't help but wonder what Mrs. Clause would think about all that. Unless she's into that sort of thing." She looks you up and down with a twisted smirk on her face, hinting at repulsion.
- music: "The stereo is in the living room, if you'd like to hear some music."
- mrs claus: "I bet she has her work cut out for her. What do you give her for Christmas, the day off?
- mystery: "I am doing good......um...Santa." You can almost her thinking...."Heh- this guy actually thinks he's Santa......Get a load of him."
- party: "This party was my idea. I didn't think I could pull it off, but everyone was so nice about contributing. 'Drifters are really great people."
- reindeer: "I've heard they talk, but don't really believe it."
- religion: "Hmmm. Why don't you guess?"
- samantha/bartender: "Well, you'll find she has some surprises of her own."
- santa: "If you are the real Santa, then I am going to make a ton of money making games with ADRIFT. I guess I can live in a fantasy world too."
- school: "Yep! An education is important. I hope those little elves you got working for you have a proper education, because some of those warning tags they put on things just don't make any sense." You would argue the point, but you know that she is right. You recall the time you tried to dry your beard with a blowdryer while still in the tub. It didn't work out so well and your beard has been curly ever since.
- sleep: "If you really need a nap, I'm sure Campbell wouldn't mind if you used his bed. You are looking a bit tired."
- the invisible man: "Where? I don't see him."
- time: "It's time to buy a watch. It's a wonder you are even able to get from one house to another."
- toddwat: "I really liked the game he entered in the Annual Comp. Very nice."
- woodfish: "He's very entertaining. He writes Adrift Monthly, the ADRIFT Newsletter. Although I think there was a month or so missing."
- default ask: "I'm kind of busy right now. Can we talk about this later?"
- unknown topics: children, comp, family, guests, kids, money, nick, north pole,
pool, presents, programming, tree.
- initial: Samantha is behind the bar making drinks.
- description: She's tall, blond and has big...well, she's endowed. You could think of a couple things to put in her stocking this year.
- drink: "You look like you could use a little drink. Seems I'm all out at the moment. I think someone ran out to get more. I think there was a guy around here somewhere with a bottle of absinthe. Mile something, he called himself."
- default ask: "I am kind of busy right now. Maybe we could get together later, and I'll tell you what I want in my stocking."
- unknown topics: adrift, astridian, books, campbell, car, drinks, ...
The Invisible Man
- initial: The invisible man lurks nervously near an exit.
- description: His head is swathed in strips of gauze. He sports large dark goggles and a matching black Edwardian smoking jacket. Quite a dashing figure, in a bizarre fashion. A loose length of the head wrap has been tossed carelessly around his neck and dangles down the front of his jacket. Like a scarf, you think. Then you notice his white-gloved hand hovering near the end and realize it is more a rip-cord. Should some unpleasant social situation arise, one yank, the gauze unravels and the uneasy guest vanishes!
- enter style: sidles unobtrusively into the room
- leave style: slips away
- initial: ToddWat is here.
- description: At six feet two inches tall and only 165 pounds, ToddWat is tall, but he's too skinny to call him big. He's clearly fit and muscular, though, and will tell you if you ask that he much prefers the term "lean" to "skinny." He has short brown hair, glasses, and a narrow face, and you can see the good humor lighting up his grey eyes. It also explains why most people are surprised to learn that he is rapidly approaching middle age -- the laughter and obvious childlike joy at being alive must keep him young.
- enter style: enters
- leave style: leaves
- adrift: "I'm not one of the Adrift fanatics floating around this party. It's just a computer program, you know. It's a darn useful one, though. It gave me the creative outlet I was looking for, and I didn't have to spend two months just learning how to use it, either."
- books: "I've been a bookworm since I first learned to read. These days I read one novel every six months, though, instead of one every three days or so. Just not enough time in the day, plus I try to stay current with the news and a couple of magazines."
- campbell/god: "Don't really know him, but I am impressed with his program. When looking for a IF programming language, ADRIFT was exactly what I needed -- simple to learn and able to do everything I wanted it to."
- car: "A means to an end. They get me where I need to go, nothing more."
- chat: "I just recently joined, and the few times I've visited it have been a hoot. I've added it to the long list of things I wish I had more time for."
- christmas: "I love the holidays. It's even more fun once you have kids, because you have fun yourself like you always did, and you get to enjoy watching them have a blast."
- computer: "They're a tool, nothing more, and no more interesting than a screwdriver, and about as useful, which is to say extremely; after all the world would be a much more difficult place without screwdrivers. I use computers every day because they're darn convenient, but that doesn't mean I like them. As with my car, I want them to work when I start them and I want to be able to use them intuitively without spending hours I don't have learning a bunch of crap I'll only use once. By the time I graduated college, I swore I'd never learn another programming language, and that's one of the big reasons I chose Adrift over Inform or TADS."
- duodave: "Dave helped me with several questions while I was programming my game, which I appreciated. He and I often don't see to eye, though, which is good. It means we always have something to talk about! I think his psychic powers give him an advantage during any argument, though."
- elves: "Annoying little critters, aren't they? Always running around and trying to give you presents you don't want, complaining about quality control and delivery delays of their products, they've always got something to whine about, it seems."
- forum: "It was the first forum I ever visited, and I was surprised at how rapidly I became addicted to it. Now that I've completed my game, though, and have yet to start a new one, my interest has wained a tad. I'm sure it will pick back up once I start doing Adrift work again."
- friends: "I was raised to believe family above all. Friends are second, but only by the slimmest of margins. Until I had my own family, I lived for and with my friends, and I'm still extremely loyal to them. The people I grew up with will always be a part of my life, even if I don't see most of them very often anymore."
- game: "What kind of games? Chess is one of my favorites. It probably won't surprise you to know that I'm fond of Interactive Fiction games, too. I prefer the type that stress the 'Fiction' in IF. Puzzleless storytelling that immerses the player in a way that static fiction cannot is what I like. Photopia is one of the better examples, and I like to think my game, Unraveling God, is a pretty good example, too.
- if: "They're really the only type of computer game I play these days, although I don't have as much time for them as I'd like. I've loved the written word since I was a child, so I guess it's no surprise I'm enamored with the fiction aspects of interactive fiction."
- job: "I'm a civil engineer, technical editor/writer, and bureaucrat for the American Concrete Institute. We write the codes and standards for commercial building construction in the United States and a slew of other countries around the world, plus a monthly magazine and two journals and a variety of other reports and guides. Most of that information is written by committees of volunteers from the industry, and I help those committees by shepherding them through the process and writing and editing their standards for them. As hard as it may be to believe, it's actually very interesting work. That doesn't mean I wouldn't chuck it in a heartbeat if I won the lottery, though."
- house: "My wife and I bought our second home about four years ago. The first was a nice starter home, but very small. This one is a 3000 square foot, four bedroom, two full bath, two half bath, two story colonial house. We love it! So much space is just awesome. It's in a great neighborhood, too, with big, wooded lots, winding roads, and kids in almost every home."
- life: "Above all, life is worth living. I can't stand people who whine about how hard life is. They just need to learn how to find the adventure in their lives and enjoy it. You play the cards you are dealt, but a skilled player can win even with a bad hand. And not only am I a card shark, but I got dealt a great hand to start with."
- love: "The world would be a pretty dreary place without it, wouldn't it? Robert Heinlein had the best definition I've ever read, in 'Stranger in a Strange Land.' He said that love is when someone elses happiness is essential to your own. That is certainly true of my wife, my son, and my daughter."
- party: "Well, when I was younger a party meant intoxication of one form or another. Now, it means hanging out with friends while our kids run around and play. Ah, life does change, doesn't it?"
- movies: "My taste in movies lately has been steering away from the in-depth, heavy, thought-provoking kinds of movies and more the brain-candy type. I guess I get my philosophy from reading. When I take the time to sit down and watch a movie, I just want to be entertained. Bring on Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, and forget White Oleander. On the other hand, Schindler's List and Dead Man Walking are two of my favorite movies, and they don't get much more heavy than that. 'Course, O Brother Where Art Thou also tops my charts."
- mrs claus: "She's a hotty, isn't she. Boy, I'd like to butter her muffins... Hey, hey, I was just kidding. Sheesh! A little sensitive aren't you?"
- music: "I have very eclectic music tastes. I listen to rock, classical, blues, country, world, and even new age music. Whatever strikes my mood at a particular time. My latest interest has been bluegrass, believe it or not."
- mystery: "Well, she seems nice enough -- too nice if anything! Must be the mother in her. She can't help from saying, 'Why can't you kids just get along?' "
- reindeer: "But do you recall, the most famous reindeer of all... So, really, is Rudolph real or was he just made up for that song?"
- religion: "Sorry, I'm not a man of faith. I like to think there is a creator out there, but I don't have any deep-seated belief that it is so. I certainly hope part of me keeps on living after I die, but the highly agnostic side of me says it will be only in the genes I've passed onto my children."
- school: "I have degrees and civil engineering and journalism, and that's enough, let me tell you. I've had enough schooling for one lifetime, that's for sure. I love being an educated man, but never once enjoyed the educational process."
- sleep: "Sleep is a colossal waste of time. Like everyone, though, I must admit I enjoy a good night's sleep or a nap. I just wish it wasn't so darn necessary."
- time: "Something I never have enough of. Between chores for the house, work, and raising our children, I usually feel swamped. For instance, I programmed my Adrift game, Unraveling God, mostly one hour at time at night after the kids went to bed. That's a frustrating way to write."
- toddwat: "I have two children, Duncan and Gwyneth, who are both awesome little kids. Duncan just turned five in December, and Gwyneth turned one last September.
I've been married for over eight years, and adore my wife.
I work as an engineer, technical editor, and general bureaucrat for the American Concrete Institute, a nonprofit organization that writes all the codes and standards for concrete building construction in the United States
My passions, other than my family, are the martial arts (I'm a second degree black belt), mountain biking, rollerblading, camping, hiking, and snow skiing. Skiing is the biggest of those obsessions; I ski every week all winter long, and have been training in a slalom and gs race program for the last ten years."
- default ask: He looks around the room as if he didn't hear you.
- unknown topics: astridian, drifters, eds, family, lancer, mad monk,
mileout, samantha/bartender, wife.
- initial: Woodfish, his spiky blue hair catching your attention, stands with his hands in his jeans pockets, looking comfortably around the room.
- description: The young man stands prominently in the room, casually looking around - his spiky, deep blue hair reminding you somewhat of Sonic the Hedgehog. His clothes are hardly what you'd expect to see at a party, jeans and a white t-shirt, but he looks at ease, and catches your eye when he notices you looking at him.
- enter style: wanders in
- leave style: walks out
- adrift: "Such a brilliant tool for writing interactive fiction, as well as a great way to socialize with friends over the internet - it's brilliant! I registered version 4 a few months ago, and now I can't stop using it! I definitely recommend registering - v4 makes a huge difference."
- books: ''The Discworld series, by Terry Pratchett is a great read. Also, Gerald Durrel, John Whydham, JRR Tolkein, and JK Rowling are good authors.''
- campbell: ''Campbell? It's strange, but just think - if it wasn't for him creating this program all them years ago, then we wouldn't all know each other, you know what I mean? We have him to thank for so much."
- car: ''Don't ask me about cars, because I don't know a THING about them.''
- chat: ''Have you been there? If not, then you should. I go there sometimes - well, now I've got it working, I'll be going more often, but it's really funny and interesting. You could ask Mystery or someone about more on that.''
- christmas: "My favorite time of the year! I love everything about it - the decorations, the presents, the atmosphere, the singing, the snow... it's brilliant! We should really give more credit to the person who invented christmas.''
- cowboy/jj sonick: ''Yup, I know them!''
- computer: ''Well, I'm not addicted by any means, but I like going on the internet and playing around on my PC. Recently I bought a new one - check this out: 2.53GHZ processor, 512mb of RAM, a GeForce4 128mb graphics card, and a sound blaster audigy card. Oh, and 100gb space in my HD. Hehehe...'
- davidw: ''Yup, I like him. He writes reviews for nearly every game put up, and he's made a few gems himself, as well. Cool guy.''
- drifters: "A great bunch of people. What one do you want to know about specifically?"
- drinks: ''Yeah, well, I'm not allowed alcohol at this age, am I? Winkwinkwink, nudgenudge. And as for fizzy drinks, don't get me started on them. I hate them! They make your tongue frizzle up!''
- ds490: ''I like him, he's soooo funny. If you see him, give him this, will you?' Woodfish smacks you around the face. ''Thanks!''
- duodave: "He's a funny guy. I don't know him that well, but he seems friendly. I don't think that Menagerie was all it was cracked up to be - or at least I didn't think it was that good. However, his new game, A Party To Murder, looks great!"
- elves: ''Poor... poor creatures. You've got to feel sorry for them, working day and night endlessly making toys. Constant snow... constant labour... just think how they must feel! Okay, that's settled it! Let's set them free! Who's with me? Come on! Hello? Anyone? Oh..''
- food: ''Don't! You're making me hungry! Mmmm.... food...''
- forum: ''The place I most frequently visit on the internet.You should really go there - wait a minute - I have the address here.'' Woodfish digs deep into his pocket, and comes out with a small slip of paper. He shows it to you, and you read: www.adrift.org.uk/forum. ''Now, make sure you visit!''
- friends: ''Mine come in all different shapes and sizes. Only one person I know, though, has used ADRIFT, from my school.''
- game: ''My favorite computer game of all time, would have to be Morrowing, third in the Elder Scrolls series. It is such a great game. Get it. Get it now! As for ADRIFT, or general IF games, I'd have to think about that...''
- guitar: ''Well, I have a Squier Strat which is fairly good. Soon, I am joining a band, as my talents playing it are fairly decent. Who knows where we will go from there? This past week, I have been trying to master Stairway To Heaven.''
- if: ''My favorite type of gaming. It's so much better than graphical games, that I don't want to talk about it. ADRIFT is definitely my favorite tool, second is Inform, then TADS. They're all great though.''
- jim/penguin: ''Jim the purple penguin - what a sight to behold.''
- job: ''I'm still stuck in school, unfortunately.''
- kf: ''The Legendary Moderator! With great power, comes great responsibility. He's fun, though. And his site and competitions are great - looking forward to the winter one.''
- lancer: ''You're sure that's his name? I can't keep track of all the changes.''
- led zeppelin/stairway to heaven: ''Led Zeppelin rules!''
- life: ''... is going well. Seriously, at the moment I have nothing much to worry about, lots of things to look forward to, and I'm feelin happy!''
- love: ''I'm sorry, but you're not my type.''
- mad monk: ''The Mad Monk - a respectable 'drifter indeed. I haven't played Far From Home yet - but I've heard nothing but praise about it. And then, there's Jim.''
- matt: ''What is it now - darkbaron? Darkbacon? Lightbacon? Niceandcrispybacon? I can't remember, but I wish he would release a decent game!''
- mileout: ''MileOut - he's a fantastic writer, isn't he. Panic wasn't really to my liking, but I could still tell that it was a brilliant game for people who like that sort of thing. I'm looking forward to Stig and The Forum.''
- mrs claus: ''She's one lucky lady.'' Woodfish shudders.
- mystery: "Ah - Mystery. To be honest, I think she's one of the best drifters I know. She always gives good advice, and she helps people out all the time. Hooray for Mystery!"
- movies: ''My favorite films... let's see... I'd have to say Lord Of The Rings, The Truman Show, The Negotiator, Speed, Under Seige 2, and... Titanic.''
- music: ''Music - one of my main loves in life. I have a huge collection of music including nine Led Zeppelin albums! My favorite bands are The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Radiohead and Coldplay. Amongst many others. I also play guitar.''
- party: ''This is great, isn't it? I love parties - not actually hosting them, because I find it a hard job to entertain for a long time, but I like the atmosphere, and conversation in them.''
- reindeer: ''Dasher, donner, dancer, prancer... vixen? Meteorite, stupid, blizzen... blarg.''
- religion: ''Well, that's a tricky subject. I do believe in a God, I'm just not sure which one. I think it's best if I stick with believing there's something up there.''
- school: ''Just coming up to my GCSEs! Shame I can't do IF game creating as one...''
- sleep: Woodfish yawns. ''Now that you mention it... I am pretty tired. It's been a long day.''
- toddwat: "Well done, that man, for creating Unraveling God! I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it was certainly unusual and interesting to play. Very good."
- woodfish: Woodfish smiles at you. "Me? Well, I've been with ADRIFT for quite a few years now - I'm completely addicted. Let's see... I haven't released any games yet, but I'm working on a few at the moment. And no, you're not getting any information on them!" He grins at you again, before carrying on. "Although, I am currently editor of Drifters Monthly, the ADRIFT newsletter."
- default ask: Woodfish gives you a blank look.
- unknown topics: advice, astridian, band, bartender, conversation, dream/dreams, eds,
god, hair, house, internet, me, meteorite, puzzles, roof, samantha, santa, secrets,
the invisible man, time, tv
ask [absent person] about campbell: Campbell wrote this Adventure Runner. It's pretty good huh!
Some of these actions are useful. Others are just interesting.
- sweep floor (while carrying the broom from Kitchen Hall Closet)
- look under table @ Foyer (to get the gum)
- put gum on broom (to get a sticky broom, I guess. I didn't look at the combo object name)
- take key @ Living Room (after examining ADRIFTMAS tree and making the sticky broom
- note that the sticky broom disappears
- The key unlocks the suitcase on the wardrobe in the Second Bath Closet, but there's nothing inside.
- The key also unlocks the garage door, but you still can't enter the garage even when the door is open.
- The key doesn't unlock the cabinet beside the desk in the Study.
- taste nutmeg (from Kitchen cupboards)
- put nutmeg in absinthe (@ Game Room). play pool. (This gets you the money.)
- give money to DuoDave. (You learn you need "a little spring in your step" to reach the roof.)
- take shower @ Master Bath
- sit in hanging chair @ Game Room
- lie on bed @ Master Suite. sleep.
- turn on tv @ Living Room.
- turn on stereo @ Living Room. (if your computer's speakers are on, you'll hear Red Peters)
- climb pillars @ Covered Entry
- eat burger (from fridge @ Kitchen)
- flush toilet (either)
- turn on computer @ Study
- piss @ Front Steps or Patio (when no one else is there)
- make snowball @ Front Steps (4 different responses: you hit, you miss, it melts, you get hit first)
- make snowman
- open bedroom door @ Master Suite (it doesn't work from Patio)
- (CAN you give the burger to the venus flytrap? If it's possible, I can't guess the right syntax.)