Key & Compass presents:
Chipmonk is a Glulx interactive fiction game written with Inform 7 and is © 2019 by Jason and Luke Swanson.
In this small simple adventure, you play as a monk named Chip, equipped with your trusty katana. Your quest is to kill the dragon known as The Destroyer. You begin in the cave entrance.
This solution is by David Welbourn, and is based on Release 1 of the game.
SPOILERS AHEAD. Reading a walkthrough prematurely can sometimes diminish one's enjoyment of an interactive fiction game. Please make an honest effort to play the game before reading this walkthrough.
None of the objects in this game have any description, so there's no point trying to examine anything.
> x me. i. (You have your trusty katana.)
> e. e.
> open chest. take matches.
> w. n.
Darkness / Abandoned Laboratory
> take torch. (It's fixed in place.)
> light torch. (with matches)
> take all.
Without labels or other instructions, you must guess how to use the potions and learn what their effects are.
Drinking the red potion gives you extra strength. But it doesn't last long at all, so don't drink it yet.
Drinking the blue potion kills you. Don't drink that one.
> s. s.
> take magic katana. (can't: It's stuck.)
> break rock. (can't: You need a suitable tool.)
> e. e.
> take pickaxe. w. w.
> break rock. (with the pickaxe)
> take magic. equip magic.
> e. e. n.
> drink red. kill dragon. (with magic katana)
*** Congratulations!! - You win ***
- A dragon, known as The Destroyer, lurks in its dragon's den. You must kill it.
- Townspeople sent you on this quest.
- An unknown wizard had the laboratory.
- Game Over - You Lose
- if you attack the dragon snd either you're not strong enough or you didn't attack with the magic katana equipped.
- if you drink the blue potion.
- Congratulations!! - You win
- if you attack the dragon and you are both strong enough and you attacked with the magic katana equipped.
- your trusty katana. You're carrying it.
- This katana cannot slay the dragon. Equip the magic katana and use it instead.
- some matches. They're in an unlocked chest on the dark ledge.
- In the darkness north of the dark intersection, light the torch (with the matches). The lit torch reveals an abandoned laboratory.
- a pickaxe. It's in a smoke-filled room.
- In the small room, break the rock with the pickaxe to free the magic katana.
- a magic katana. It's stuck in a rock in a small room.
- Break the rock with the pickaxe to free the magic katana.
- Equip the magic katana.
- In the dragon's den, drink the red potion for extra strength then immediately afterwards, kill the dragon (with the magic katana) to win.
- a red potion. It's in the abandoned laboratory.
- This potion is a very short-term strength potion. You will have great strength the turn after you drink it. When it wears off, you are weaker than you originally were.
- First, make sure the magic katana is equipped. In the dragon's den, drink the red potion then immediately afterwards, kill the dragon to win.
- a blue potion. It's in the abandoned laboratory.
- This potion is poisonous. If you drink it; you die.
- Ignore the blue potion.
Thank You to my Patreon supporters
This walkthrough is provided free of charge since the work it's based on has less than fifteen locations. Please consider it a thank you for your support!
I create larger walkthroughs too! Please visit my Patreon account if you're interested in helping me create more interactive fiction walkthroughs. I appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks again.
Ko-Fi is a way to send me small one-time donations. Every little bit helps, and thank you!