10th Annual IF Competition (2004) - Reviews
I wrote reviews for the following entries in this competition:
Links to others' reviews:
3 & 4],
XYZZY responses in this comp's entries:
- All Things Devours: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Bellclap: Sir?
- The Big Scoop: Wrong game.
- Blink: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Blue Chairs: You used to play text adventures, used to remember words like that. But the appeal fell away from them at some point, some night you no longer recall...
- Blue Sky: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Chronicle Play Torn: That's not a verb I recognise.
- A Day In The Life Of A Super Hero: I'm sorry, but XYZZY doesn't do anything special in this game!
- Gamlet: [That verb is not recognised.]
- Goose, Egg, Badger: Those are fine letters, to be sure, but why not "GEB", or "EGB", or even "Z.I.L.G."?
- The Great Xavio: That's not a verb I recognise.
- I Must Play: Life isn't a game.
- Identity: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Kurusu City: You don't know how to pronounce that.
- A Light's Tale: Living in the 80's still? Wake up and come to the realization it is the 21st century! Come on, people!
- Luminous Horizon: Unfortunately, teleportation isn't one of your superpowers.
- Magocracy: Nothing happens.
- Mingsheng: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Murder at the Aero Club: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Ninja v1.30: You cannot do that.
- Order: Nothing happens.
- The Orion Agenda: Never heard of that God. Maybe you mean Xzxxe?
- PTBAD 3: For a moment you think you see the interior of a decaying shack.... For a moment.
- The Realm: I don't know the word "xyzzy".
- Redeye: I don't know the word "xyzzy".
- Ruined Robots: I don't know the word "xyzzy".
- Splashdown: That's not a verb I recognise.
- Square Circle:
In your imagination declaiming this hoary old incantation causes all prison walls everywhere to collapse into piles of dusty rubble, thus bringing you instant fame, fortune and freedom. In reality, nothing happens at all; but then you didn’t seriously expect magic to work in this enlightened age, did you?
Then you’re sadly deluded. Get a grip – this isn’t Colossal Cave!
Very well – if you’re really that determined to live in a fantasy world...
At End of Road
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
As you take your first step your futile daydream shatters...
... and you find yourself back in reality.
- Stack Overflow: That's not a dape I recognise.
- Sting of the Wasp: Nothing happens. Guess if you want to travel someplace exotic, you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way and sleep with Frank.
- Trading Punches: Try that mode when modes are tried.
- Typo: [Flavorplex Psychic Typo Correction has divined that you want to "x"]. What do you want to examine?
- Who Created That Monster?: A stray rocket sails over the city wall and explodes in front of you.
* * * You have died * * *
- Zero: 38°40'17"N 77°59'45"W (and a popping sound)
- Zero One: 'xyzzy'? I don't know that word.
Merk whispers, "Heya, just a note for your eventually Trading Punches review regarding XYZZY responses. There are actually 3 different responses, depending on if you don't have the watch (this is the one you show), you do have it, or it's hidden/broken. :)"
Merk whispers, "Okay, then that's the main one. The third response can be found when you're at the courtyard (because that takes place at a later date), and in the sunken wreckage. Neither of the other two are interesting. You can also type any mode without the "mode" command (just XYZZY works as a mode)."